Friday, January 2, 2015

How Essential Oils Changed Us

I started using essential oils back in July when my kids were getting sick ALL THE TIME! I was sick of them getting sick and since they are so young, traditional medicines were out of the question. My friend from college had been posting about essential oils so I finally asked her about them. Little did I know, I would be hooked and they would have such a huge impact on our lives.

To start, here is a little information about Essential Oils in general. What are they: essential oils are oils derived directly from a plant source. Sometimes its the leaves, sometimes its the seeds, sometimes its the bark. They are potent liquids that are all natural and have MANY uses. How do they work: In nature, essential oils protect the plant. They help to rebuild an eaten leaf or they play a role in pollination. They help people in the same way. They help to regulate a digestive system, heal wounds, rid of aches and pains, boost the immune system, etc. How are they used: there are three main ways to use essential oils: aromatically, topically and internally. Aromatically is simply smelling the oil. Topically is putting in on your skin. Internally is taking it in either through a drink, food or in pill form. (For more information on what essential oils are and how they work, visit www.doterra.com.

Here's how essential oils have helped us:

-Getting Sick: like I mentioned, my kids were getting sick every other month. Fever, congestion, cough. The whole shebang. Since using essential oils, especially the immunity booster OnGuard, they are sick way less often and I think Brayden has had ONE fever. Even if they do get sick, or I get sick, we can get rid of it in just a few days by using a combination of OnGuard, Breathe, and Oregano. I feel so much better knowing I am not giving them medicines that will have adverse affects.
*Note: it is VERY important to always dilute essential oils when using them, especially on children. Use Fractionated Coconut Oil to dilute the essential oils before putting them on children. 



-Headaches: I used to get headaches all the time and it wasn't because I was dehydrated or hungry. I would either suffer all day and be in a bad mood or I would take Ibuprofen. I threw away the Ibuprofen and we have replaced it with Peppermint oil and the roll-on blend PastTense. Both are amazing for headaches and I haven't taken any type of pain reliever since starting oils.
*Note: Again, you will want to dilute the Peppermint oil. It is very potent and it can cause your eyes to sting and water if placed on your forehead without diluting it first.

-Mood & Energy Level: As a sleep-deprived mom, I am often tired, sleepy and sometimes grumpy. That is not how I want to spend my days with my kids. I want them to know me as being happy and energetic. I used to pump coffee in me all day long but caffein is just a temporary fix and would actually give me those headaches I mentioned above. I started diffusing the oil blends Elevation and Citrus Bliss and putting the Lemon oil in my water every morning. I find myself to be happier and more productive all day long. If I start feeling tired or I need an extra burst of energy to get the house cleaned, I put some oils in the diffuser and get to work.



-Stress: By the end of every day, I was ready to bite someone's head off. I was stressed and beyond ready for the kids to go to bed so I could sit in silence. That doesn't exactly make for a fun bedtime routine for the kids. After dinner, I started diffusing Lavender or Serenity and it has made a huge difference for us. It not only calms me down and reduces my stress, but it calms the kids down and gets them ready to go to sleep. Going to bed has become less of a fight and therefore, less stressful for me. The kids are calm and ready to lay their heads down. And once the kids are sleeping, I can just sit in the silence with the diffuser running and get myself to a calm place. It has been amazing for the whole family.


-Nausea and Stomach Issues: Hubby always seems to have a stomach ache and he used to use Pepto Bismol to help. It never really helped enough and so I was thrilled to learn that doTERRA has an oil for just these specific issues. DigestZen is awesome! You literally just rub it right on your stomach and in just a minute or two, you start feeling better already. Hubs has felt so much better by using this particular oil and it's definitely one we always keep on hand.


So those are the main reasons we use essential oils and how the oils have helped us. I have no doubt they can help ANYONE with practically any issue you can think of. The reason I love essential oils so much is that 1) they never expire 2) you can use all sorts of combinations to combat whatever ailment you are experiencing 3) they work wonder for kids that can't take traditional medicine. Just remember that essential oils, while all natural, are still very potent and should be used with caution. You'll want to test them on your skin (diluted) to see if you react well to them. Obviously if you are allergic to grapefruit, you don't want to use grapefruit oil or any blend that has grapefruit in it. Oils still need to be treated like medicine and it's especially important to dilute them when using on children. They have more sensitive skin than adults and therefore need less of the oil to do the job.

This is the Family Physician Kit which is what I started with. It includes the membership so you get the oils at wholesale price (25% off retail), the introductory kit, 10 5mL bottles of the most popular oils, bottle stickers, and a bottle of Slim n' Sassy. It's a great way to get started using oils!

These aren't the only products I use either. I use the OnGuard toothpaste and house cleaner, shampoo & conditioner, face products and I continue to find new products that I love and use daily.

Have you used essential oils? What is your favorite?

If you're interested in learning more about oils, just let me know! I would love to share my knowledge and get you started on a medication-free life. You can also visit my personal doTERRA office at www.mydoterra.com/stephaniesentelle to order products at retail price if you aren't interesting in becoming a member and getting 25% off the products.


Disclosure: I am not a medical professional and I am not giving any medical advice. I am simply stating what has worked for my family. I suggest asking a doctor before starting any new medical routine.

In the future, I plan on posting recipes I use for oils like the kid-friendly OnGuard roll-on bottle of oil I use on the kids daily. I also have a few recipes for relaxation and one to kick a cold in it's butt.

No comments: