Friday, January 16, 2015

Plane Prep!

We will be heading to California in just over one week and I will be doing this solo (well, with the kids too of course!). This makes me VERY nervous. I have never flown with just me and the two kids before and its proven to be a challenge even when there is another person helping. Brayden is now 3 1/2 and Madison is 1 year 4 months. Probably the hardest ages to fly with and we will have a stranger next to us so I really need to keep the kids calm and behaving acceptable for the public. You know, not kicking the seat in front of them, not yelling, no crying, etc. Basically not being annoying to the people sitting near us.


My main concern is Madison. Brayden can be bribed and can really entertain himself either with books, stickers, DVDs or the iPad. Madison on the other hand, doesn't sit still for any length of time (unless she is eating) and definitely lets me know when she's upset by screaming. Lovely.

To help us all live through this experience, I have been asking friends for tips and searching the internet and of course Pinterest for ideas.

Here is my plan:

1) Lavender essential oil. I use essential oils on a daily basis and lavender has amazing calming effects. I will be putting some in a roller bottle, diluted with fractionated coconut oil, so I can rub it on the kids right before we get on the plane and then again if they start getting fussy and restless.

2) Bribery. HA!! So I typically don't bribe my children to get them to do what I am asking. I don't think this is a good message to use on a daily basis. However, I would practically do anything to get through this plane ride without a meltdown by the kids. I have purchased several small gifts for them from the dollar section at Target. I bought books, stickers, coloring books, and little sketch things. I plan on giving them to the kids throughout our trip but not until after we are actually on the plane! (I haven't bought them yet but I am also going to get retractable crayons. Two packages. Sharing crayons is basically out of the question so I am not even going to attempt to deal with that on the plane.)

3) Snacks. This is kind of obvious but when kids are hungry, they are pretty evil. Just my kids? Cool. Anyways, both kids love goldfish so those we definitely be making the trip with us and Madison still enjoys squeeze pouches so those will be coming too. Water cups for each of them will also be necessary since drinking out of a cup is out of the question. I spill on myself every time I fly and I am an adult that has been drinking out of open cups for about 23 years. Okay maybe I am just messy and clumsy but whatever.

4) Entertainment. We also purchased a new DVD at Target and we already have a portable DVD player. I am going to get a few new apps on the iPad the night before we leave so they are brand new and exciting. The only thing that makes me nervous about this area is the sharing. Brayden is really horrible at sharing the iPad but maybe with the bribing, I can get them to share nicely for the duration of the plane ride.

All of this will be going in my Petunia Pickle Bottom Abundance Backpack along with a blankie for Madison. Brayden will have his own small backpack to bring his Toy Story friends and green blankie (all of which he sleeps with).

If you have any other necessities that you bring for your kids, please leave a comment below! I would love all your ideas and anything that could make this flight go as smoothly as possible!

No comments: