Monday, December 29, 2014

Homeschooling for Preschool

Since we moved to Alabama, Brayden hasn't been in preschool like he was in California. I want to get him started in one but we really need to wait until we get a house so we can enroll him in a school close to the house. In the mean time, I want him to still be using his brain and working on skills that will help him grow and become a smarter little boy and be ready when he does start preschool again.


As I was thinking about this, I came across a pin on Pinterest about this exact topic. It had a ton of ideas and would really work for us since the writer of that post is also a mom of two and she does the learning activities while her younger child is napping.

Here is the link to the post I read: 37 Ways to Stay Sane at Home with Your Preschooler

As I get going, I will keep you updated as how things are going. I would like to make each week a theme and then do activities based on the theme like the farm, insects, transportation, etc. Hopefully Brayden enjoys most of the activities and actually participates. I will try to include short videos from youtube to make things interesting and then I would like to find activities that make him move his body. He is such a mover and doesn't sit still for almost any length of time so I don't expect him to sit still for a lesson. I am really excited to start this with Brayden and I think he will really like learning about new things.

Although we will be homeschooling for a while, I still think it's very important for kids to attend a preschool with other children and a teacher other than a parent. Children need to learn to follow directions from others and the social skills learned at school are vital to a healthy, well-rounded child. I know some people choose to homeschool and I think that's great. They find other ways to get their child to socialize but that just isn't what we are going to do. Brayden will go back to preschool in the fall when the new sessions begin.

For now I think doing the homeschooling will just help keep his brain sharp and ready to absorb new information. Hopefully it goes well!!

No comments: